Sony has launched two new powerful lenses into its full-frame lens lineup: The FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.three G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens (mannequin SEL200600G) and the FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens (model SEL600F40GM). Both supply photographers the power to capture subjects at the similar super-telephoto focal size (600mm), however at a lot totally different worth points. The Sony FE 600mm prime will value $13,000 and the Sony FE 200-600mm zoom will value $1,998.
One of many key differences is that the FE200-600mm has a variable aperture vary, which can also be slower than the prime: f/5.6-6.three. The lens will attraction to extra superior newbie shooters trying to increase their range, however it might additionally attraction to execs on the lookout for some zoom-range flexibility in a telephoto lens. Nevertheless, the high worth of the FE 600mm prime, which has an wider maximum f/four aperture, makes it an enormous investment for any photographer, but is primarily focused at wildlife and pro shooters. Here’s some extra specifics on every lens.
The FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens (model SEL200600G).
Key options on the Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.three G OSS lens:
- A hard and fast-length structural-lens design that features an inner zoom, which suggests lens size doesn’t change whereas zooming and, says Sony, “retains high resistance to dust and moisture in order to deal with difficult outdoor conditions.”
- Compatibility with Sony’s E-mount 1.4x and a couple of.0x teleconverters, which, Sony says, “extend the reach to a maximum of 840mm at F9 or 1200mm at F13.”
- A built-in optical stabilization system with three modes.
- Five extra-low dispersion (ED) glass parts and an aspherical component
- An 11-blade circular aperture mechanism, which Sony says “ensures beautiful bokeh.”
- A focus ring for responsive, manual-focus management.
- Three customizable focus-hold buttons, plus a focus-range limiter.
Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens.
Key features on the Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens:
- Two extreme dynamic (XD) linear motors, which, Sony says, “drive the lens’ focus group to provide fast, precise AF and reliable subject tracking.”
- A singular optical design, which includes a big extreme aspherical (XA) component and three fluorite parts, which Sony says, assist “minimize chromatic aberration and suppress any amount of color bleeding.”
- The lens makes use of an 11-blade, circular-aperture mechanism for wonderful bokeh.
- A Nano AR coating that Sony says suppresses “any unwanted reflections, glare or ghosting in images.”
- A lens design that Sony says is “not front-heavy.”
- Sony says is the lightest lens in its class, weighing in at approximately 6.71 lbs.
- Quite a lot of customizable focus-hold buttons on the lens barrel.
- A responsive focus ring.
- Built-in optical stabilization with three totally different modes.
- A drop-in filter slot.
Each lenses are suitable Sony’s 1.4x and a couple of.0x E-mount tele-converters and will ship this August.
Our sister website, Outside Photographer.com, also has a narrative on the two lenses, which incorporates some nice photographs that the writer shot with the 600mm prime. Click her to check out that article.
Additionally, for more on the 2 new lenses, see the under press releases:[[press release: ]]
Sony Proclaims New FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS Super-telephoto Zoom Lens
SAN DIEGO — June 11, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. in the present day introduced another new lens for their expanding full-frame FE lens lineup, the brand new FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens (model SEL200600G).
Sony’s furthest reaching E-mount zoom, the brand new G Lens™ collection model makes use of most of the company’s most superior lens design technologies to make sure wonderful image high quality, high-performance autofocus (AF) and outstanding control. When paired with any of the newest, fastest E-mount digital camera bodies, it’s going to reliably monitor and accurately capture all kinds of shifting topics, including birds, wildlife, athletes in movement and far more.
“We will continue to innovate and expand upon our E-mount lens lineup, which now features 33 full-frame models and 51 lenses in total. The new 200-600mm super-telephoto zoom lens gives Sony’s camera users yet another powerful tool to realize their vision,” stated Neal Manowitz, deputy president for Imaging and Professional Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “For wildlife or bird photographers, sports photography enthusiasts and many others, it offers a new level of creative freedom, striking the ultimate balance between performance and portability.”
Key Features – New FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.three G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens
- Prolonged attain with built-in stabilization
- Versatile tele-zoom vary from 200mm telephoto to 600mm super-telephoto
- Suitable with Sony’s E-mount 1.4x and a couple of.0x teleconverters, extending the attain to a maximum of 840mm at F9 or 1200mm at F13 with excellent picture high quality and AF performance
- Constructed-in optical stabilization with three totally different mode settings, enabling pictures which might be sharp and in-focus at prolonged super-telephoto focal lengths
- High resolution and corner-to-corner sharpness throughout the complete zoom vary
- Five extra-low dispersion (ED) glass parts and an aspherical component, arranged in a new optical design that minimizes chromatic aberration
- 11-blade circular aperture mechanism that ensures lovely bokeh
- Coated with Sony’s unique Nano AR coating to suppress unwanted reflections, glare or ghosting in pictures
- Fast, precise and quiet autofocus
- Outfitted with Sony’s Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) focusing system, which has the facility and precision needed to drive the lens mechanism for remarkably fast, correct focusing
- Superior focus system for exceptionally quiet operation, avoiding any undesirable noise that can disrupt an unpredictable topic like a resting fowl or different types of wildlife
- Inner zoom mechanism for dependable and secure handheld capturing
- General lens length does not change whereas zooming, sustaining constant stability and distance between the entrance of the lens and desired capturing subject
- A hard and fast-length construction – inner zoom mechanism – retains excessive resistance to dust and moisture with a purpose to cope with troublesome outside circumstances
- Fast zoom operation with mild zoom ring torque
- Refined control and reliability for use in the area
- Focus ring featuring Linear Response MF for effective, responsive guide focus control
- Three customizable focus-hold buttons, plus a Focus Range Limiter
- Dust and moisture resistant designii and fluorine coating on the front factor to withstand dust and fingerprint
Pricing and Availability
The FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.three G OSS will ship in August 2019 for about $2,000. Will probably be bought at quite a lot of Sony’s approved sellers throughout North America.[[ press release: ]]
Sony Introduces the New Tremendous-telephoto 600mm F4 G Master Prime Lens
Sony’s Longest Reaching Prime Lens is World’s Lightest in its Class, That includes Excessive-performance Autofocus, Excessive Resolution and Lovely Bokeh
SAN DIEGO — June 11, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. right now introduced one other spectacular addition to its flagship full-frame G Grasp™ collection lens lineup: the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens (model SEL600F40GM).
As Sony’s longest reaching prime lens, the new 600mm consists of most of the firm’s most superior optical and mechanical technologies, producing distinctive picture quality with extraordinary focusing velocity and precision. The FE 600mm F4 GM OSS can also be the lightest lens in its class[i], weighing in at approx. 6.71 lbs., and features a particularly balanced design to ensure the absolute best capturing experience. Together with the acclaimed FE 400mm F2.eight GM OSS lens, the new 600mm lens provides skilled sports, wildlife and information photographers more options for capturing topics at an ideal distances with excessive accuracy and detail.
“With two new lenses announced today, our growing E-mount lens lineup now includes 33 full-frame models and 51 lenses in total,” stated Neal Manowitz, deputy president for Imaging and Professional Options Americas at Sony Electronics. “The tenth model from our flagship G Master series, the new 600mm F4 raises the bar for speed, mobility and control in a super-telephoto prime lens. Combining the extensive 600mm reach with features like 20 fps shooting and AF/AE calculations at 60 times per second on the α9 or extremely high resolution, high-speed performance on the α7R III allow professional photographers to create images that were simply not possible to capture before.”
Fast, Precise and Quiet Autofocus[ii]
To take greatest advantage of the highly advanced autofocus techniques of Sony’s latest full-frame E-mount cameras, the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens features two extreme dynamic (XD) linear motors that drive the lens’ focus group to offer fast, exact AF and dependable topic monitoring. These motors are supported by specially developed movement algorithms to attenuate lag and instability, in addition to to regulate noise ranges, resulting in exceptionally fast, accurate and quiet autofocus performance, allowing the lens to seize dynamic, fast paced athletes or wildlife with ease.
Excellent G Master Picture Quality and Bokeh
As a member of Sony’s flagship G Master collection lenses, this new giant aperture super-telephoto prime lens options an unimaginable degree of image high quality and element, with excellent distinction and determination maintained all the best way to the corners of the picture. The unique optical design consists of a large excessive aspherical (XA) aspect that effectively suppress all widespread telephoto lens aberrations, in addition to three fluorite parts that help to attenuate chromatic aberration and suppress any amount of shade bleeding. Sony’s latest bokeh simulation applied sciences and XA factor are additionally utilized to regulate spherical aberration and assist achieve beautiful bokeh.
The lens features an 11-blade circular aperture mechanism that contributes to the top quality of bokeh in pictures, and it has been coated with Sony’s unique Nano AR coating to suppress any unwanted reflections, glare or ghosting in photographs.
The brand new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is suitable with Sony’s 1.4x and a couple of.0x E-mount tele-converters, producing outstanding imaging efficiency at extended focal lengths[iii] whereas maintaining fast, exact AF performance.
Lightweight, Balanced Design
The brand new super-telephoto prime lens supplies a degree of portability and maneuverability that has never been achieved before in a lens of its class. Based mostly on know-how from the acclaimed FE 400mm F2.eight GM OSS lens, the light-weight design of the brand new 600mm lens is achieved via the usage of three fluorite parts, with a decreased number of parts deployed on the entrance of the barrel. Magnesium alloy can also be used throughout the lens to assist reduce weight and bulk.
Additionally inherited from FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS, the new 600mm lens contains a lens design that isn’t front-heavy, decreasing second of inertia that resists rotation and making certain faster, extra precise panning when capturing handheld or on a monopod.
Sturdiness, Reliability and Control
To face up to the tough circumstances of sporting occasions and wildlife images, Sony’s new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is constructed with a durable magnesium alloy and a robust, light-weight carbon fiber hood. The lens is mud and moisture resistant[iv], and its front factor is coated with fluorine to resist dust and fingerprints.
FE 600mm F4 GM OSS features an ample variety of onerous controls on the lens, including customizable focus-hold buttons in 4 totally different places on the lens barrel, which may be programmed for control of features, if desired. There’s additionally a Full-Time DMF change to right away interact guide focus at any level, and a spotlight ring that options Linear Response MF for advantageous, responsive guide focus.
Additionally, the new lens consists of built-in optical stabilization for dynamic action and three totally different ‘Mode’ settings, together with a Mode 3[v] setting with a complicated algorithm that ensures simpler framing when following shifting topics. It additionally encompasses a perform ring with selectable ‘Preset’ and ‘Function’ settings, and a drop-in filter slot that accepts ø 40.5mm ND and different filter varieties, as well as the non-compulsory VF-DCPL1 Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter. The VF-DCPL1 filter may be rotated to realize the desired polarization while installed within the lens.
Pricing and Availability
The FE 600mm F4 GM OSS will ship in August 2019 for about $13,000 US. Will probably be bought at quite a lot of Sony’s approved sellers throughout North America.
https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/lens_body/?area=gwt&lang=en&mdl=SEL600F40GM&cat=3[iii] Most aperture with the 1.4x and a couple of.0x teleconverters is F5.6 and F8, respectively