There are a variety of great things about WordPress, but most people would agree that the default WordPress search functionality is just not certainly one of them. Thankfully, with the perfect WordPress search plugins from this record, you may give your search system a much-needed improve that makes it extra user-friendly and provides your guests more options to seek out content.
In complete, I’ve collected 5 nice WordPress search plugins, plus slightly bonus:
- Ajax Search Pro
- Ivory Search
For each plugin, I’ll inform you all concerning the new performance that you simply get, as well as what you possibly can anticipate to pay for it.
Then, at the finish, I’ll advocate some particular plugins based mostly in your wants.
Let’s get started so to end your seek for the most effective WordPress search plugin.
SearchWP is likely one of the most well-known WordPress search plugins.
Unfortunately, it solely comes in a premium version, however the upside of that’s that you simply get a ton of nice functionality for enhancing all points of your search.
- 0.1 Key Features
- 0.2 How it Works
- 0.3 Worth
- 0.4 Key Options
- 0.5 How it Works
- 0.6 Any Essential Issues?
- 0.7 Worth
- 0.8 Key Features
- 0.9 The way it Works
- 0.10 Worth
- 0.11 Key Options
- 0.12 The way it Works
- 0.13 Worth
- 0.14 Key Features
- 0.15 The way it Works
- 0.16 Any Essential Issues?
- 0.17 Worth
- 1 Which is the Best WordPress Search Plugin for You?
- Works with the native WordPress search functionality
- Search every thing, including custom fields and the output from shortcodes
- Ajax reside search to point out outcomes instantly with no web page reload – the reside search functionality is actually free at WordPress.org, and you don’t want SearchWP to make use of it
- Key phrase stemming to provide you with higher search results
- Choice to spotlight the search query in search outcomes, very similar to how Google does things
- Customise the weighting of your search algorithm
- Integrations with different in style plugins, together with WooCommerce, bbPress, Straightforward Digital Downloads, WP Job Manager, and much extra
- Create separate serps, every with their very own unique settings. For instance, you would have one search for blog posts, and another for WooCommerce merchandise
- Index the content from PDFs, .docs, and other textual content documents in your Media Library
- Use SearchWP to power related content material recommendations
- Routinely redirect certain search phrases to a selected page
- Search analytics as a way to see what individuals are looking for (tip – you should use Google Analytics to track search queries with out the need for a plugin, so this isn’t a huge promoting level for my part)
How it Works
SearchWP integrates into the native WordPress search system, so that you gained’t have to do anything special to set it up. For instance, you need to use the regular Search widget. Or, in case your theme already includes a devoted search function, SearchWP will start working with that routinely.
From there, SearchWP makes use of a modular strategy, which suggests you’ll be able to decide and select which extensions you need to use.
After you’ve uploaded the extensions, you should use a well-designed interface to configure your search functionality’s weighting, as well as the other performance:
Once more, SearchWP solely is available in a premium version.
The most cost effective plan starts at $99 for use on a single website. Nevertheless, for access to each single premium function, you’ll need at the very least the $149 Professional plan, which helps you to apply it to as much as 5 sites.
Extra Information / Download
Relevanssi is a well-liked WordPress search plugin that comes in each a limited free model, in addition to a full-featured premium version.
It’s going to let you supply more complete and relevant search outcomes, as well as nice features like Google-style “did you mean?” search strategies.
- Works with the native WordPress search functionality
- Builds its personal search index
- Search more forms of content material, together with comments, tags, customized fields, and more
- Modify the weighting of titles, tags, and comments to vary what content is taken into account “relevant”
- “Did you mean?” options, identical to Google
- Spotlight the search query in the search outcomes (like how Google does it)
- Better content indexing, together with an choice to index the contents of shortcodes and attachments (like a Phrase document, although attachment indexing is a premium function)
- Search across multiple websites in WordPress Multisite (premium)
- Let searchers use OR and AND sort queries
- Mechanically redirect sure key phrase searches to a selected page (premium)
How it Works
Like SearchWP, Relevanssi works with the traditional WordPress search, so you gained’t need to add any special search field.
To configure every little thing, you’ll get an in depth backend settings space:
There are a whole lot of settings to undergo, however it’s still fairly easy to arrange.
Any Essential Issues?
One necessary factor to think about with Relevansi is performance. The developers are fairly open with the truth that Relevanssi uses plenty of knowledge, particularly for a large website. They say you’ll be able to anticipate to triple the dimensions of your wp_posts database desk. On low-powered hosting, which may trigger issues.
Relevanssi has a free version at WordPress.org. Then, the premium version begins at $99 for a one-year license or $299 for a lifetime license. Each premium licenses allow you to use Relevanssi on unlimited sites.
Extra Information / Obtain
As the identify suggests, the core value of Ajax Search Pro is the power so as to add Ajax reside search to WordPress. That is, as quickly as guests begin typing their search phrases, up pops an inventory of search results – no web page reloads or ready round.
You additionally get some good templates for displaying these search outcomes, like an choice to include the featured image from each bit of content material in the results listing.
So general, that’s the primary purpose to choose this plugin, and why it’s lively on over 40,000 websites in accordance with WordPress.org.
Nevertheless, it may also add another helpful choices, like filters and the power to look in custom submit varieties (including WooCommerce merchandise).
Ajax Search Professional has each a free and premium model.
- Provides Ajax reside search to WordPress
- Distinctive search outcomes templates (for instance, you’ll be able to show pictures like the instance above)
- Plenty of customization choices
- Index and search media attachments, together with PDF, CSV, DOC, and more
- Search any submit sort, together with WooCommerce products and bbPress forums
- Search in customized subject info, together with an choice to decide on exactly which customized fields to index
- Autocomplete and search ideas
- Add search filters along with keyword search
- Choice to generate your personal search index
The way it Works
There are two ways so as to add the Ajax Search Pro search type to your website.
First, you’ll be able to have it try to substitute your theme’s default theme search, which ought to work. It’s necessary to note that this can change the styling of the search type, which is totally different from how SearchWP and Relevanssi work. With these two plugins, there’s no effect on the frontend appearance of your search type.
Or, you may as well use dedicated shortcodes/widgets to show the plugin’s search type anyplace on your website.
From there, you should use the detailed settings space to regulate how all the things works, including the styling of the search type:
There’s a limited free version of this plugin at WordPress.org referred to as Ajax Search Lite. Then, the Professional model is accessible for $36 at CodeCanyon with commonplace Envato licensing. That is:
- Lifetime updates for one website
- 6 months of help
More Information / Obtain Demo
Ivory Search is a freemium WordPress search plugin that makes a terrific choice for enhancing the native WordPress search. It’s top-of-the-line free WordPress search plugins, and the premium model continues to be far more reasonably priced than a lot of the competition.
That helps clarify why it has a 4.9-star score on over 160 evaluations at WordPress.org.
Nevertheless, it additionally doesn’t have fairly as lengthy a function listing as something like SearchWP. So…trade-offs!
- Works with the native WordPress search performance
- Create unlimited search types, every with their own unique settings
- Search WooCommerce merchandise or bbPress forums (free)
- A lot of choices to solely search particular content material. E.g. solely search password protected posts or posts with a selected number of comments (plus extra)
- Increase what you possibly can search for, with options to seek for file attachments, WooCommerce product variations, excerpts, plus much more
- Choices to exclude sure content material from displaying up within the search outcomes. For instance, you possibly can exclude out of stock WooCommerce products
- Highlight search phrases within the outcomes
- Fuzzy matching and keyword stemming
The way it Works
Ivory Search routinely creates a default search type in your native WordPress search. That is, this default search type controls the performance of the regular Search widget and/or your theme’s built-in search.
From there, you’ll be able to create as many new search varieties as you’d like, and configure their functionality in a easy settings area:
For extra search types (beyond the default one which Ivory Search creates), you’ll be able to embed them utilizing a shortcode.
Ivory Search has a free version at WordPress.org.
After that, the premium versions are still quite reasonably priced. Single-site plans start at $19.99 for one yr of help/updates (or $99.99 for lifetime).
The complete-featured plan begins at $49.99 for use on a single website, or $189.99 for a lifetime license.
Costs go up if you want to use Ivory Search on multiple websites. For example, you’ll pay $39.99 to make use of the essential Pro model on as much as 5 websites.
More Information / Obtain
FacetWP helps you add faceted search performance to your WordPress website.
Should you’re not acquainted with what I mean by faceted search, it’s so much like filters, and it’s one thing you’ll generally see at eCommerce stores and directories.
Right here’s an example – see how you’re not simply looking by keyword, however it’s also possible to filter by gasoline sort or area?
FacetWP doesn’t should be a standalone plugin, both. You’ll be able to truly combine it with the SearchWP plugin from above to get the most effective of each worlds.
- Add faceted search performance to WordPress
- Ajax-based, which suggests no page reloads as customers make their search decisions
- Creates its own search index for higher performance
- 13 totally different filter varieties, including date/quantity ranges, maps, search, proximity, and more
- Filter publish varieties or customers (the latter allows you to create detailed consumer itemizing search)
- Integrates with web page builders to design the results page. Works with both Elementor Professional and Beaver Builder
- Create sides based mostly on customized fields, taxonomies, and regular publish knowledge
- Works with WooCommerce that will help you create actually detailed faceted WooCommerce menus
The way it Works
Like SearchWP, FacetWP is available in a modular set of extensions that let you decide and choose exactly which features you need.
As soon as you install the relevant extensions, you possibly can create your first side using a simple interface:
You may also use the template builder to design the format for individual outcomes:
Any Essential Issues?
FacetWP doesn’t change how the common WordPress search box works. That’s why you may need to contemplate integrating it with SearchWP to actually put your WordPress search on steroids.
FacetWP solely is available in a premium version. Plans begin at $99 per yr to be used on up to three sites and the option to filter publish varieties.
Then, there’s a $249 per yr plan that allows you to apply it to as much as 20 sites and filter both publish varieties and users.
More Information / Download Demo
I’m throwing in ElasticPress as a bonus because it’s a bit more technical than the other plugins. But when you have loads of content material, it’s an awesome choice as a result of it helps you leverage the facility of Elasticsearch on WordPress.
For those who’re not acquainted, Elasticsearch is an alternate means of querying knowledge. As an alternative of querying your WordPress website’s database each time someone searches, Elasticsearch builds its own indexes which are rather more environment friendly and assist flip up better results. To be trustworthy, I’m not 100% positive how it works – I simply realize it’s a lot more performance pleasant 🙂
To be able to use Elasticsearch, you’ll want to truly install the open-source Elasticsearch software in your WordPress website’s server, which is why I say that this one is rather less user-friendly.
Additionally, not all hosts will allow you to use Elasticsearch, especially low cost shared ones. Nevertheless, in style high-quality managed hosts like Kinsta and WP Engine do allow you to use it.
After you have Elasticsearch put in on your website’s server, ElasticPress helps you make it work with WordPress and in addition gives tons of good options like:
- Faceted search
- Related posts
So for those who’re somewhat more technical minded, take a look at this one. In case you’re an off-the-cuff consumer, stick with one of the other options as they’re simpler to arrange.
Extra Information / Download
Which is the Best WordPress Search Plugin for You?
Now for the essential question, which is one of the best WordPress search plugin for you?
As is generally the case with these plugin roundups, there’s not a single plugin that’s right for 100% of users, so let’s run via a couple of totally different situations.
If you’d like one of the best general search plugin, I’d say go together with SearchWP. It does somewhat little bit of all the things. Custom weighting, improved relevancy, Ajax reside search, related content, textual content document indexing…it has the perfect general function listing of any plugin on this listing.
Then again, if you want to specifically add faceted search to your WordPress website, then you definitely’ll in all probability need a specialised choice like FacetWP.
If all you need is to add reside Ajax search to your website, you’ll be able to go together with Ajax Search Lite or Ajax Search Professional for an reasonably priced choice. The overall function listing isn’t nearly as good as SearchWP (which additionally provides reside search), however it has a free version and is just plain cheaper.
In the event you particularly need a free WordPress search plugin, I feel Ivory Search is probably the most beneficiant, with Relevanssi also being a strong choice. Ajax Search Lite can also be good should you specifically want reside search functionality without spending a dime.
Finally, in case you’re a complicated consumer, contemplate going with ElasticPress and Elasticsearch, in case your host allows it.
Any questions on these search plugins for WordPress? Ask away within the feedback!
Disclosure: A few of the links in this submit are affiliate links, which means that in case you click on one of the hyperlinks and buy an merchandise, we might obtain a commission. All opinions nevertheless are our own and we don’t accept funds for constructive critiques.